Slot games are not created equally. Some favour big-money players while others are more suited for casual play. No matter your style, it is important to understand the difference between the varying levels of volatility when you play slots online. Lilibet Casino is here to take the guesswork out of online slot games with our guide to the volatility of slots
What Is the Volatility in Slot Machines?
So, what does volatility mean in slots? It’s a question new players ask all the time. Volatility refers to the level of risk when playing an online slot game. It is a mathematical assessment of in what manner the online video slot will payout. Slot players can use this information to determine if a slot game will suit their playing goals or style.
Volatility is represented on a scale of low, medium, and high. With that scale, you can find slot machines that fall in between those three volatility ranges such as a medium-high volatility slot.
- Low – offers more consistent winning opportunities but the payouts are generally lower. Usually only as high as 200 – 300x your stake.
- High – these slots are considered to have the most risk as they rarely payout but when they do, it’s typically a very large jackpot. We’re talking 2,000 to 10,000x the stake.
- Medium – this is the compromise of the two ends of the scale and can be a frustrating slot to play sometimes. The best part of medium volatility slots is that they typically feature bonus games that provide large jackpot chances.
How To Determine the Volatility of a Slot Game?
The best way to determine slot volatility is to simply consult the webpage of the software developer that created the slot games you are choosing to play. In order to appropriately market their slot game, the software developers need to promote the Return to Player (RTP) and volatility of their game. Some software developers even identify the RTP and volatility in the paytable within the game itself – to find this, simply choose the paytable from the menu before starting to play a selected slot game.
If for some reason the volatility of a slot game is difficult to find, there are some factors that help determine the likely volatility too.
- Feature-Packed – Firstly, if a game boasts several features and bonus games, then you are likely looking at a high volatility slot. It is expected that most of the winnings will come from making it to the bonus games rather than through regular wins in the base game.
- Prize size – Take a look at the maximum prize of the slot games. If they aren’t particularly large – say x5 – x20 – then you’re likely looking at a low volatility slot. The prizes aren’t huge, but they should pay out more often.
- Consult the Hit Frequency – another statistic to look out for is the hit frequency. It won’t determine the volatility with too much precision but a high frequency, like around 40%, is an indication of consistent wins – which is typically associated with a low volatility slot.
How The Volatility in Slot Machine Is Calculated?
Calculating a slot game is an incredibly difficult task and requires complex mathematical calculations and a lot of spare time for an accurate calculation. However, it really isn’t necessary as a player.
If you want to try and work out the volatility of online slot machines yourself, simply play more than a hundred spins to determine how you win and how big those wins are.
Low Volatility Slots
A low volatility slot is going to likely provide more consistent wins, but the prizes are generally going to be quite small – maybe 5x your stake most of the time. What this means is you are going to need to find a low volatility slot that also has a relatively high RTP. Anything over 96% will do, but closer to 98-99% if you can manage it.
Popular low volatility slot games at Lilibet Casino include:
High Volatility Slots
High variance slots are those that don’t pay out very often but when they do the prizes tend to be large. The thing about playing these slots is that you will need a decent bankroll to stand a chance of getting big wins, as you can go many spins without even the smallest win. High variance slots often have fun bonus games and many features to help build those big prizes.
Some of the best online slots with a high variance at Lilibet Casino include:
- 9K Yeti
- Book of Dead
- Punk Rocker
Why Is Volatility Important?
Understanding volatility is important for understanding risk. The volatility of online slot machines will help players manage their bankroll effectively and should prevent them from playing a game that doesn’t suit their playing style or means. Secondly, volatility is important for the casino industry. It is a way for regulators to ensure fair games and its promotion helps build transparency between the player at the casino operator.
Where To Play Low, Medium & High Volatility Slots Online?
Lilibet Casino has a massive collection of slots that includes low, medium, and high volatility slots. No matter what style of slot you fancy, it can be found at Lilibet Casino. Our online slots for real money can be tested for free too! More than just slots, Lilibet is a full sportsbook and live casino operator. You can bet on your favourite sports or play casino classics like Blackjack with a live dealer.
Sign up today to collect a welcome bonus and a volatile slot level of your choosing.